St. Christopher

untitled study, 4" x 7", oil on canvas board, Rico '13

"Hang on St. Christopher through the
smoke and the oil, buckle down the rumble seat
let the radiator boil..."  -Tom Waits

I submitted work to ArtFields, an interesting endeavor in the small town of Lake City, South Carolina.  It is my first attempt in a very long time to exhibit work in the state in which I have lived for over a decade.  The moment felt right, the work is ready to be seen and so I stuck my neck out.  I'll update this blog in a couple of weeks when I hear the panel's decision.  Either way, I will pull no punches about the process, the festival and the quality of work exhibited.  They want to make some noise.  So do I.

My head is in NYC at the moment.  I found out there will be a large Basquiat exhibit going on while I'm there and I look forward to seeing what else is on the walls.  My Greenville dealer is coming down next week for a studio visit, so that will be what it is.  Always a pleasure to host Teresa, she is one of those rare people who genuinely loves, and I mean loves art and artists.  There are times I wished we both lived in another part of the world; I feel we could move a tremendous amount of paintings.

I've been down with health issues all week, despite my overall healthy lifestyle.  There are parts of growing old that don't bother me one bit and there are parts that completely stink.  Death is the price of life, no one avoids the long march into night.   I hope I go in my studio with stained fingers and the paint still wet on whatever I was working on. 

Between the cold and illness I haven't worked in over a week, which causes tremendous internal stress. I've so much to do, several works in process and I need to get back in the studio for these things and my own sanity.  I hope to catch a break this weekend.   Until then I hold on.

No comments:

Post a Comment