emerging


Attended the Faculty art exhibition last night and enjoyed speaking at length with a group of people I haven't seen in some time. I live and work in isolation, so contact with others of my ilk is often very magical and even emotional for me. For the most part I enjoy my "Splendid Isolation" as Zevon put it, but now and again is feels good to yak about art over booze and get loud and passionate about it all.

The work is steady and last night as I answered questions about how it is going, I was able to more clearly express what I'm interested in with these paintings, what excites me about non-traditional space exhibitions, and my upcoming trip to NY. When one speaks with others in one's field, it's just so much easier because you can go straight to specifics, and talk about the things that matter or concern you. There's no preliminary explaining to do.

Met some people and may have cultivated them into potential collectors, so the evening had that added bonus. Tonight the show at UVA opens and hopefully that will get my work in front of people who may have heard my name but not seen what I do. Logistics prohibit me from attending, but I'll see the show in a couple of weeks.

I feel a new sense of focus, and a new desire to get it in front of people. After 13 years, I have to confess that only now do I feel that sense of emerging.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you shared this and think that changing your routine and trying another way of handling things won't diminish you work, and the adventure is worth the risk.

    I am wishing you all good things!

    ReplyDelete