blacks

My paints and medium were damaged in route and so I'm on hold for now. Not much to say, I'm waiting and I'm ready to lay down paint and held off placing an order for the large canvases until the new year. I was playing with ratios in my journal and am now thinking of a 90" x 66" canvas, essentially expanding 6" in each direction. Also still considering 84" x 72" but I will have to work on some studies to see how it plays out with less vertical thrust.

Either way, it looks like I'm going to be building some new walls in the studio.

Also really amped to play with the blacks and whites. Thinking about the black ground differently than i was before; previously had thought about getting a spray shop to lay that down, now I'm digging the painterliness of working that large by hand and all that comes with it. these pictures are going to take ages to dry! but that's what makes the white do its thing so delightfully as it seeps and stains and expands itself into and on top of the blackness. thinking about Caravaggio of course, those abyssal black spaces that careen into holy oblivion. thinking also about that Goya in the National and the flake white that is so transcendent and living.

(Movable walls?)

reading lots of ee cummings for no reason at all but then again for letting go....

No travels in January, having to wait until Feb and then see what's happening and pick a coast and jet. Auto plane tickets and monthly gallery hopping, studio visiting, painter talking...at times heroic. Got invited by a friend to hang in the studio while they make their record and looking forward to that. So different and then also the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment