renewed

Week # 1 of solo parenting is winding down, and it is amazing.  I have not been as happy as I have been over the past week in ten years.  The combination of spending most of the day with my daughters and not being chained to a desk in a windowless office has awakened something in my consciousness that I realize has been dormant for a long time.  I feel a renewed sense of life purpose.

Tonight I have a sitter and at last will be able to get into the studio to begin the grand canvases.  I've painted them in my mind for weeks now, and I can't wait to bring that vision to life.  I have been thinking a great deal about authenticity in art.  I remember the first time I heard a Lenny Kravitz record; how I thought to myself that it sounded like it was recorded during the time of his obvious influences and yet was so fresh at the same time.  It's like if you could transport him back in time, he would be immediately accepted by those he most admired as both a peer and a pioneer.  When I think about painting, I have always and only ever been concerned with greatness.  I do not hide my influences; I celebrate them.  It is my dream to one day hang in the same room as a Rothko and for people to see it and say, "yeah, that works."  I have never hid my passion for the sublime in art.  My paintings are imbued with a sense of the mystical and primal.  I'm concerned about the primordial energies of the universe, and I want my work to be a gateway to those energies for the people that see and experience it.

I unpacked the stretcher bars earlier in the week and they are things of beauty.  This is going to be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment