swimming at night




she thinks she can warn the stars (for e.k.)
108" x 78", oil on canvas, Rico '12

Here's a preview of the big black.  I'll photograph it properly tomorrow, but this is an exclusive for the half dozen people that read this blog.  After weeks of wrestling with this painting I feel I found my groove.  Tomorrow I'll start building the next one.  And so it goes.

I painted this for a friend whose daughter died.  Six days on the earth seems such a short time, but no one can own time.  As parents we assume a natural order to life and mortality, but in the end it is only a bold assumption.  I felt this spirit needed to be writ large, and today is the anniversary of her death so I wanted to lay it down tonight.  

And I'm spent, and I need to sit alone with this epic poetry for a time as the day falls away.



No comments:

Post a Comment