responding to process



There's the idea; it comes all at once or (more likely) it comes in progressions of experimentation.  Even the most lucid ideas must stand the test of process, of actually attempting to realize them with materials and surface, sweat and labor.  I think one has to respond to process; that is to say be willing to go adjust  the course and intent as more interesting pathways emerge.  I think most artist have rules for works, I know I do.  A limited palette, or a reoccurring phrase, something that limits.  Limitation is good for creativity, don't kid yourself. The best art often happens because of restriction, not in spite of it.   An artist may only be able to afford one color of paint, or because of studio size may need to work on paper.

I had rules for this body of work, but as I was working today something occurred to me; admittedly subtle, but the change is significant in how I now approach it.  Size matters.  As I've made this work this bigger and bigger, I've had to contend with the aspects of process, and the limitations of what I can physically do in terms of physically manipulating the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment