letting go

I drove over to the gallery tonight, foolishly thinking it would be empty.  Of course the director and her drones were busy with all the last-minute preparations; the space is alive and bright.  I have to say, the show looks really good.  I found the eclectic collection a bit jarring until I actually saw it hung, and I'm impressed with the curator's vision.

So now the funny part.

The large painting is hung upside down.  I must have wired it this way in my exhaustion last week.  The day job has been brutal for some time now and in my preparations I must have gotten disoriented.  What's interesting is that I didn't notice at first.  I have to say, I think I like it better the way it is hanging.

I've always believed one acts or one is acted upon.  Neither is, inherently, a "better" condition.  There are benefits to each.  In this case, I received one of those gentle wacks to the head from the universe letting me know that I need to let go for awhile and just allow myself to be taken away.  That's a really positive thing at this particular moment of time.

I think one has to keep a certain irreverence towards one's work.  It's easy to take yourself too seriously and something like this could have caused me crazy stress on the eve before a show.  But it honestly didn't.  I sort of feel that everything is right and how it needs to be.  It made me laugh and relaxed me, and now I go into a highly-charged situation (an opening) in a much lighter place.

No comments:

Post a Comment