loose ends

I pick up my work from SAM today and the crazy run of this show comes to an end.  It is bittersweet; one the one hand I've achieved something I thought was decades away and yet I question whether my career is altered even minutely from the experience.  I remain an unknown in SC; a place still trying to wrap its head around Modern art, much less contemporary art.  I sometimes think post-impressionism is where most people lose their comprehension of art around these parts.

So the studio will be full this afternoon.  I'm grappling with a very large 3-panel piece that is giving me logistical problems, and I'm climbing out of the Winter paralysis and lockout.  As I re-enter the studio after nearly 3 months of restricted access, I suppose I question the point.  All this time and money and energy spent; for what?  For whom?  And while there is a freedom in the fact that no one is watching and I may do as I please, there is also the discouragement in knowing that my game is so much higher than most of what I see around me; and yet is goes unseen.

And still I keep going.

The large painting is something I have to paint for me.  I hope to return to the stations once I complete it.  I may have to rebuild the stretcher frames as I cannot seem to correct the warping of one seam.  It's frustrating and time-consuming but not unforeseen.  With my wife's show opening next weekend, I cannot imagine being able to get much done this week.

The warmer nights are coming, however.  I'll be back in full swing soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment