on the virtues of isolation and community

follow me on Instagram

“The man who is unable to people his solitude is equally unable to be alone in a bustling crowd.”
                                                                                                                 - Charles Baudelaire

In 2008 I rented my current studio and began, unknowingly, a sustained period of self-exile from other artists and the art world.  During this time I worked, I explored, I imitated and, eventually, I was able to hear only my own voice.  Only about 3 or 4 years ago did I come out, and only within the last year have I truly began to re-engage and actively exhibit my work again.

Charlie Parker is perhaps the most famous example of "shedding," but the practice remains an important one.  While not everyone benefits from imposed solitude, Baudelaire had it right; finding the pleasure and meaningfulness of our own company better enables us to find the quiet spaces within the din of humanity.

For me, what resulted from self-exile was a unique visual voice; clear and true.  And while I value the time I spent without an art community, I have realized it is time to rejoin that community in full force.

A criminology professor in undergrad once said to our class, "It takes humans to make us human.  It takes humans to keep us human."  Without the company of others, over time we diminish ourselves.  I like to to think of it as balance.  Finding the strength to be alone when our souls need to recharge, and finding the energy to social when our hearts long to play.

Next month, May, I will begin moving into my new studio at the Greenville Center for Creative Arts, located in the West Village of Greenville, SC.  For the first time in a very long time I will be part of a monthly art crawl, and participate in the annual city-wide open studios.  South Carolina and I have had our differences, and even after 15 years I find myself still struggling at times to adjust the local culture.  But part of my decision to relocate to Greenville and base my practice there was simply to be the change I wished to see.  To help to continue to elevate the art scene and to be part of the tide that raises all boats.  

There's a lot going on in Greenville, SC.  I've moved around enough in my life to recognize what is happening here.  Even though I've been an SC-based artist for nearly 2 decades, I will be starting over in a new scene.  It's humbling and there are tremendous opportunities within the challenges of being the new kid.  

I will, unfortunately, miss the first Friday for May.  But please stop by studio # 7 in June to say hello.

#yeahthatgreenville #studio #painting #oilpainting #carolinaartists #artistsoninstagram

No comments:

Post a Comment