Henri Matisse, The Piano Lesson, 1916, oil on canvas
8.5" x 11.75"

The time has come to brave the heat of the City and pop up to NYC to check out Matisse at MoMA. Don't ask me how or when, I've got a little time yet. When I saw this painting recently, I knew I had to get up there. I haven't been profoundly moved by a painting in a very long time, but something in this, -even in reproduction, just grabs me. It's hard to explain; it's not like I love every moment of this picture, yet everything works for me at the same time. Is Matisse the answer? It has happened to other artists before me; traveling to the great museum and encountering another painter's work and then...everything becomes clear.

Yeah, it's 100 degrees here too, I'll be in the museum all day anyway.




2 comments:

  1. this has always been one of my favorite paintings ever. when i was 22 i had a job near MOMA and would go in every lunch hour just to look at this and the other Matisses. hope your trip is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard Diebenkorn loved this painting too and you can see much of his career in this one painting but especially the Ocean Park series.

    ReplyDelete