Leaving the Corner Office

Today is my last day at the job I've had for the last 5 years. Tomorrow I start a new job, two blocks from the studio. There is the widely-held illusion that "successful" artists don't have day jobs, but all the one's I know do. It may not be working for someone else, they may lecture, write, do workshops or something like that, but those things certainly constitute a large portion of their lives spent doing something else for money.

We all find what we can do, and we make time for our real work because that is what gives our lives meaning. I feel very fortunate to have found another job in this economy.

In truth, I love change. I thrive on it. So I'm in arguably the healthiest place I've been in a long time. The studio work is flowing, though I am largely ambivalent about it still.

The current office is now emptied of any presence I had here. It looked much better with my large painting and favorite potted plant here. Raise a glass to new beginnings.

2 comments:

  1. Here's to you Rico! I raise my glass full of good juju and much happiness to your new beginning! It must be the time for both of us to start a new chapter...I'll be rolling to LA sometime in August. Your studio work is definitely flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That painting on the floor looks amazing--hope you will show a closer shot of it. And congrats on your new job--paying the bills is a good thing!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete