a moment's peace

Began 24-27 tonight. I need titanium white, some more medium, and mineral spirits. I'll pick them up tomorrow. There's this enormous grid of paintings arranged on the floor. It spans a distance of about 20 feet. I'm looking at the most peculiar interaction of viridian and yellow ochre over-painted onto a hot cadmium red. It shifts and undulates like a hot sea.

I was tired and almost didn't make it in tonight. But I know that tomorrow is a wash, I'm traveling to the capital for a meeting and I likely won't have much left.

The night is cool, there's breeze and the loading door is open and there are times I realize I could be anywhere. I'm enjoying a cigar and watching the skeins of paint interact and ebb and flow, what Hoffman called push and pull. I see these and yet I also wonder what they look like to someone who has not logged the hours I have with them. I'm not tired any more. The first twelve canvases are beautiful, but they now seem unrealized to me. I need to put them away for awhile and leave them be. I feel quiet and powerful and at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment