the third man

I opened crate number 3 tonight, and in some senses begin again. I got lost in the last ten, so much so that I did not begin any new ones until now. Two things seem to be vying for power in the studio; one path are these stark, almost ghost-like landscapes, the other are fields of formless applications of paint which seem to also be about color. Indeed, my own loyalties are divided. On the one hand I gravitate toward the horizon; the power of the unknown and the vast faraway. That's fairly biographical I guess. On the other hand, I have always felt that colorfield painting never fully reached its fruition; it never lived up to its own promise in a way. Unlike Impressionism, which reached a natural if somewhat fore drawn conclusion, colorfield painting seems to have gone into stasis. My musings, what can I say? I actually sit around and think of these things for fun.

Entering into canvases 30 and beyond, something will assert itself, -or at least begin to. I'm not worried about it, I'm along for the ride.

Today was exhausting, but I got some important things done. Now life comes back in; grocery store and then home........

No comments:

Post a Comment