back to the woodshed

There are dozen paintings glistening with fresh paint lying in various states of evolution/birth/creation on the studio floor and the painting wall.  The dream of 3 nights ago haunts my vision; I saw the studio full of gigantic paintings and I walked amongst them feeling the canvas and smelling the paint.  

Sometimes it comes like that.  Not often, and I don't believe in waiting for inspiration anyhow.  But sometimes it happens like that and there it is and you have to; the only sin I believe in is hearing the call and choosing not to answer it.

So I pulled out the last of my post-card-sized canvases this morning and we'll see about bringing those visions into the physical world.  

For now, there's Donald Bird on the speakers and it's cold as I sit and type.  These mornings I always think of Pollock trudging out the barn and firing up the dream.  At his best, there wasn't even a nice glass of whiskey waiting as reward for the day's effort.  Paint is resilient, that's what I've found out working in here for the past 5 years.  It can take what you dish out, no worries.  The worst kind of painting treats materiality with preciousness.  I've no tolerance for it, not in this era.  

It's time to get moving again, the damp cold is seeping through the layers and numbing my fingers.  



No comments:

Post a Comment