Fail. Risk Again.


Large canvas fail. It happens. There is always this mixed sense of frustration and loss, and then one moves on. Frustration in that laying down the black took a month, loss in the sense of both materials and losing this living moment itself.

I posted a new album to FB with some of the studies so far. You can view it here. I think you can see what is lost in translation. I think where I went wrong was two fold; improper tools and not enough restraint. The tools are an ongoing search, I've been looking at masonry trowels and they hold some potential in terms of recreating my use of palette knives. Proportionally, they should be about right. This was also a funny ratio for me at 6' x 4'. I may try a few trusty 5' x 4' canvases and see if it feels better.

To an extent, without failure there is no real progress or growth. It never makes it easy, however. I'm doubting myself as of late; feeling that sense of being cut off, wondering if I will ever connect and get my work in front of its audience. Doubt, doubt.

There's snow in the forecast this week, and maybe that is the vision I need even it prevents working in the studio.

no more thoughts now...

No comments:

Post a Comment