some nights


I visited the Abstract Invitational exhibit last night.  Seeing my work in that space felt very gratifying and very humbling.  I was struck by how different the exhibition looked at SAM as opposed to the Elizabeth Harper gallery where it previously hung.  The museum, -the Chapman Cultural Center as a whole, is top shelf.  The citizens of Spartanburg should be proud; they are poised to enter into the global discussion of art with this space.

Any doubts about my seriousness as a painter are obliterated with this show.  Any questions as to the significance of my work are laid to rest.  I brought it, and no one can ever take away the moment I had with the show last night.

I'll be back a week from today for the official opening of the exhibit and I'll give a brief artist's talk.  I'm glad I've now been in the space and seen the show, it makes the opening easier.  I met some nice people last night, hopefully I'll meet more next week.  I'm hopeful some of my friends from far away may surprise me and fly in, but the support online has been overwhelming as it is, and I know SC is not a destination for many who haven't been here.

It's before dawn and the house is still and in the darkness I drink my coffee and type these words and I'm still trying to understand that last night was not a dream.  These little (and not so little) validations keep me going, for I know the road will never end for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment