condemnation

condanna (first station) [in progress], acrylic and oil on canvas
72" x 72", Rico '14


A good night last night, the cold winds made it a closed door session.  There are times when I feel that I am so utterly far removed from everyone and everything; that this tiny town may as well be an island or Mars.  Working alone has taught me self-reliance and to trust in my visions.  I am in my place of uncertainty.  Each painting is a sustained effort, a surprise, and provides me brief satisfaction when I'm able to pull it off as I had imagined it.   

The black paintings are incredibly difficult to document.  What looks grey in the photo above is a matte black.  As one moves through the room and views these paintings from different angles, the composition recedes and emerges and fades.  These pieces are painted with a space in mind, and when I have two or three more under my belt, I will begin that process.

I've worked heavily from sketchbooks for this series.  I have an arc of story through the composition of each painting.  I know what they look like in my mind now.




No comments:

Post a Comment