one winter more

one winter more before the northward crossing
acrylic and oil on canvas, 2014 Rico

The process of painting passes through dozens of paintings.  For every mark, from the very first one, the pictorial space is shaped and changed.  The artist practices a detached discernment, but must free himself from judgement.  Openness and awareness must be preserved; the act of seeing is paramount.  

Things occur in the process.  Work comes from work.  The simple change from white to black has profoundly changed my perceptions and interactions with the canvas.  As I prepare to take this concept large, I'm reminded that I purposely constricted myself in square canvases.  The square is inflexible.  It is also pure and, surprisingly, spiritual.  I'm reminded of Malevich, from whom I now have a much deeper appreciation.  Indeed the association with the icon is asserting itself in this work, and that was by design but unexpected in terms of effectiveness.  

A quick break and then back to lay down another layer of acrylic so that I can hit these with oil tomorrow.  This modest 10" x 10" canvas retains the large scale.  I'll dive into the 6' x 6' canvases with abandon.

No comments:

Post a Comment