back to black and white


Painting is doing; it requires taking action and seeing it through.  But it is also something more akin to being.  It requires presence and quietness and listening.  For me, the less agenda in a work of art the better.  I'm not saying I'm against political art, but there has to be something else behind it.  Art whose only content is ideas lacks something; it is all-too-often empty.

So the artist paints of his/her time.  We paint of the moment in the hope of connecting to the timeless, and we paint from within in the hope of connecting with the universal.  I make art, in a physical sense, to survive for hundreds of years.  That alone doesn't make it superior, but one must concede it makes for a formidable case as to its intent.

The paintings I am most uncertain about are often the best.  Those which please me, that is to say those that I look at and think, "that's exactly what I want" are generally not as strong as the ones cloaked in ambiguity or ambivalence.  So this state of uncertainty and doubt is a powerful place from which to create.

Proper pics of this one as I complete it within the next few weeks.  I like to snap pictures with my phone for shorthand reads.  It enables me to see the work instantaneously and in an unflattering context.  I need to be able to see the work in the moment, without context or history or the relationship I've developed with the long time spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment