the road


A road trip in the waning days of summer.  A last blast before graduate school begins and with it a new life.  Two old friends meeting in a great southern city; whiskey and great food, sights and long conversations into the dawn.  There are people in our lives with whom the conversation never truly ends; it seems to pick up where it left off, no matter the time and miles between.

The road trip is about minimalism.  One has to be honest with one's self about what they need and take nothing more.  I am a one bag traveler.  I refuse to check luggage except in the event of an extended stay.  My childhood in the military life taught me how to grab and go, and I've always applied that philosophy to travel since.  I like a clean, empty car with nothing but tunes, a map and a proper camera.  I'll instagram when it's over, memories tend to happen when you're in the moment and not lost in cellular prayer.

I'm taking my time.  I plan to wander, maybe even get lost for a bit.  Summer winds and open road and back road discoveries will people the journal entries and sketchbooks in the coming months.  I'll drink with locals.  Tales of high adventure and good friends, and maybe, if I'm very lucky, new friends too.


No comments:

Post a Comment