always on Sunday


Got back into paintings 1-3 this morning, and they became a lot more structured. Whether this is for good or ill doesn't bother me so much at this point, and a good deal of it may be obliterated by the processes over the next few sessions. I (as perhaps a few of you reading this) keep looking at my painting wall and wondering, "why don't I paint THAT?" Sometimes we don't always see what's in front of us, or more poignantly, what it has to teach us.

I enjoyed what happened this morning but I remain ambivalent, which is my preferred state of mind in here. The worst painting suffers from the seduction of moments, where artists try to preserve that little section here or there in a painting. I have been as guilty of this as anyone, but I am also fairly ruthless when it comes to eliminating something. I don't work from predetermined forms or images, so when they occur I get rid of them as best I can. There's nothing hyper-realistic painting does for me that photography can't.



Speaking of photography, I'm shooting at a lower res in the studio right now to conserve memory and bandwidth. When I get these to a state where I stop working on them I'll offer up some higher quality images. I need some lights and likely some light boxes, but that will have to wait.

As I type and look at the works in front of me, I'm glancing over to the others and I'll likely get into them as well. I was right in what I said at the end of last year, something is definitely happening. Time to ride the wave.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see what you're working on. I'm really liking the one on the far right. I started painting again (just on the side just for fun). But what a process, I forgot. And there's always some part of the painting that feels like it's not working...

    Hope all is well with you my friend. Thanks for stopping by the other day and for your well wishes.

    ReplyDelete