holding pattern

The nights are slow and I have been shut out for some time. I long to get back, yet I go through this every Winter and I should accept the reality that these first 2 months of the year are generally a wash except for the warm snap here and there. I tend to use these months to research and learn about artists I haven't known (or known well) before. I was at last able to pick up the book on Philip Taaffe, "The Life of Forms" and it was providence which led me to it.

I have a box of medium and paints waiting by the door for the first break above freezing. The break will come, and the paintings will move on. I am sidelined because that is what is to be at this moment. I will (and always do) come back with a vengeance.

I have a small work which needs to get done for a traveling exhibition. I have yet to start physically, though I've been working on it for a few weeks in my head. More on that soon.

Taaffe's work uses pattern and motifs in a delightfully cerebral way. The work contains a power, but not in the sense of what we (or at least I) tend to think of muscular painting. It's very meditative, very direct in a Zen-like way of being direct but also saying something on many levels which isn't apparent immediately. There's much to chew on, much to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment