back in the studio


A stolen sunny morning, picking back up where I left off and then pushing on. Canvases 4-6 (above) in various stages while 1-3 take a varnish layer and dry flat elsewhere in the studio. I layer and layer and though it is time-consuming, it gives the final paintings an otherworldly depth for which I my work is becoming known. I re-introduced the tape line today and we'll see where that goes.

It is strange and delightful working with a cache of surfaces ready. It really seems to serve my need to work on many things at once. It was a rough week at the day job, but a rewarding one. I'm feeling conflicted in my realization that I don't have to compartmentalize my life -or my identity into separate existences. In life, in art, I remain open and go where opportunity leads me and innovation allows me. Painting is largely problem-solving; one sets up a puzzle of sorts when making a painting. This is why I enjoy oil as opposed to acrylic. With oil you have to plan, there is a chemistry at work that has to always be in your consciousness. I paint intuitively, and without predetermined imagery. That apparent paradox is probably a metaphor for my whole being, but what can you do?


Remember, you can enlarge any image by clicking on it. The warmth will return tomorrow and so will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment