Artfields notification


the mad hours; oil on canvas, 108" x 76", Rico '12
official entry to Artfields 2013

As I mentioned in a previous post, I submitted work to Artfields, an interesting and ambitious project in an eastern SC community called Lake City.  It's potentially something to watch, both from the standpoint of how small, agricultural-based communities and towns are adapting to the ever-shifting cultural and fiscal landscape as well as how to build a respectable regional art show from the ground up.

I want this to go well.  It's in my best interest that it does, and I love an underdog in the art world.  So the questions going forward are, can a tiny rural community actually pull this off?  Will they get regional and national press to bolster their efforts?  Will they be taken seriously as a legitimate arts festival instead of a provincial crafts fair?  Tough questions, all.

As for me, I'm truly grateful to be included.  I really want this work to get in front of people of all walks of life.  This is a nice acknowledgement after years of flying beneath the radar in this state, while simultaneously continuing to receive critical accolades both coasts.  I'm glad my work will be seen.  This is my year, the ascent is already under way.


No comments:

Post a Comment