begin again

untitled (in progress), oil on linen


Studio morning, three canvases in play working towards my solo show in New York next year. I ship a piece out to Kansas City later this month. It's happening, a result of the favorable unseen tides of fate combined with old fashioned hustle. I am three weeks away from my graduate defense, at which point I leave my midlife crisis behind me.

Focusing on the work, and solely on my art career has been invigorating and I feel a overwhelming sense of peace and focus.  I feel the work I produce in the weeks ahead will rise to another level.

Having a solo show in NYC brings about a significant change in mindset.  I know I have to bring it, that I will bring it.  As I reach out into other markets, I realize that I've crossed some threshold in terms of my career.  The single word that comes to mind to describe my current state of mind is "clarity."

The artistic practice, like meditation, is about beginning again.  Each work must be new and fresh for me, or else it won't be for anyone else.  If I've developed a style, I constantly strive for autonomy in each piece.  Building a show is intense because there needs to be some cohesion, and especially so for this show, but any one piece should stand alone.  More documentation as I push forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment