space is the place


My studio is not perfect.  It is unheated, un-air-conditioned, no running water, to name a few.  The heavy rains of winter have caused some new issues that I'm working with the landlord to resolve.  But then, there is the space itself.  I cleared it, I configured it, I built walls, and I tore down walls.  In preparation for #NYC2017, I have the incredible advantage of being able to simulate the 2 large walls of the gallery space in my studio.  This means I can hang the show before I ship it and get a real sense of how it will work.

Because this show is large (14 paintings), everything in it needs to be solid.  Because it is a series, and holds religious meaning for many who will view it, the order of the work matters.  Being able to play and configure while I'm painting is incredible.

Despite being hampered at times by climate, this studio and I have grown together over the past 8 years.  The work that has developed comes form hours upon hours of working, writing, sketching and contemplating.  Though I am on Main Street, I often forget the world outside when I'm working.

I am reaching a point where the amount of work I need to produce will require either serious upgrades to my space or relocation.  I cannot continue to lose weeks due to cold.  Climate control for a 100 year old warehouse is inefficient and expensive, but some days when I'm there I cannot image being anyplace else.

I'll make a big announcement soon via social media and on my site.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment