First things first. I apologize for the quality of the photos. I'm temporarily on a PC and the stock photo-editing software in a word, sucks. These two paintings are off to Greenville this weekend for submission to a group show. I'll post the dates when/if the work is accepted.

I'm wrapping them up tonight and we're a go for tomorrow. It's been a crazy week. Someone at my new job asked me when I get time to paint, and I said I had to eliminate extraneous uses of time; namely, sleep. I discovered that sleep is overrated in college. I suffered from intense bouts of insomnia in my early 20's. By the time I moved to California, this had mostly subsided, but at its peak I would be up for 3 or 4 days at a time. When you don't get sleep, you're never fully awake. The strangest experiences ever were usually about day 3, when your body forces a kind of walking REM cycle. I would be walking around, doing stuff, but I would dream for what seemed like seconds. Long, complicated dreams, usually mirroring whatever I was doing, sort of like playing a video loop except you're living it. Needless to say, I loved Chuck Palahniuk's Fight Club the moment I read it, though this was a decade after my own experiences.

I confess that hit the wall today. Thus the rambling....

So, back to the work. I borrowed the shadow-box frame from a painter friend in LA. Saw his work in Brooklyn last year and loved the frames. We talked about them on the phone and I'm pleased with how they came out and the extra "umph" they give the work. I feel good about the work.

I was finally able to order more canvases and hope to get back into a routine next week. I'm frustrated with not being able to blog as much as I'd like and the quality of the photos, but I will keep at it. Thanks for reading...whoever you are.

And thanks to those of you who comment and communicate with me via twitter or email. It means a lot to have your support and feedback.


No comments:

Post a Comment