ramble on

No pics today. I've been working all morning, everything is wet and glossy and the surfaces are returning to my signature (and notoriously impossible to photograph) slickness. The layers of varnish just bounce every angle of light. I either get color or I get detail, but never both.

I found an old exhibition post card from 2000, when I was still working exclusively on copper. It is remarkable how I've achieved such similar surfaces through an entirely different medium, -largely unconsciously.

Anyway, I continue to grapple with the large painting, I may post some pics of the various stages so far, about half a dozen or so. I can't get it to hold together.

Summer feels as though it has arrived, the 90's are upon us and the humidity is climbing. I'll have to break out the fan soon, but right now about 112 sq feet of floor space is occupied by paintings. They have to dry facing upward, or tabled. I don't have drying racks, which I know I should build at some point.

As my writing today suggests, there's just nothing exciting happening today. Today was about showing up and doing the slow work. So be it. These days are no less vital to the overall process. They are just not as sexy to document.

I am still in exploration mode with these paintings. I've yet to get what they are about. Fortunately, I like the unknown. Sitting here now, writing, the idea occurs to me to make the large piece red through the application of very thin layers of paint. It will take a few weeks, but the underlying textures I've laid down will be amazing. hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment